If your body has low energy levels or needs a reset, a healthy detox smoothie containing whole food is your go-to option. Over time, your body may accumulate toxins like urea, uric acid, ammonia, creatinine, heavy metals, hormone metabolites, and excess salts. Each of these toxins has unique adverse effects on your body. Thus, you need to cleanse your body from toxins occasionally. You can do so by ensuring you take in nutrients that help your body get back on track. You should try detox smoothies as part of your daily routine for health benefits.
Advantages of a detox smoothie
A healthy detox smoothie is beneficial in the following ways:
- You can make them easily: Most ingredients for these healthy smoothies are fruit and vegetables, which you can quickly purchase from the local grocery stores. Also, preparing a smoothie is straightforward; in less than 10 minutes, you should be through with making your smoothies.
- Save on doctor’s bills: Nutrients from healthy food help boost your immunity, reducing your chances of falling ill. With a strong immunity system, you’ll spend less on medical bills.
- Keeps digestion going: Fruit and vegetables are typically rich in fiber which helps in digestion. Blending your fruit and vegetables ensures the fiber remains intact, reducing constipation. A detox smoothie for bloating improves the performance of your digestive system.
- Might help in weight loss: Detox smoothies may help you lose a few pounds. However, you should exercise regularly along with consuming smoothies to burn more calories. From these smoothies, your body acquires lean protein available in unprocessed food. A weight loss smoothie should contain antioxidants, nutrients and water for hydration. The good news is that all these nutrients come from fruit and veggies. Ensure ingredients with such nutrients are present in your weight loss smoothies Australia.
- Reduces junk food cravings: Once your body gets used to healthy feeding patterns, you’ll have no cravings for junk food, which is known to disrupt your blood sugar levels. If your goal is to build a lean body, you should take in more vitamins through smoothies.
- Helps athletes in muscle-building: Poor diet increases your body’s acidic levels. When trying to control the situation, your body may take calcium from your bones and muscles. As a result, you’ll have low-density bones. As fruit and vegetables are alkaline, they help neutralise acidity levels. In addition, green leaves are sources of calcium which athletes need to build high-density bones and muscles.
Steps to follow to make a detox smoothie
There are many kinds of detox smoothie recipes. The ingredients used in your detox smoothie recipes determine the nutritional content. Fundamentally, the following components have detoxification properties, and you should include them in your smoothies:
- Pineapple: This fruit contains antioxidants. It also produces bromelain, an enzyme that helps in pain management and swelling. Additionally, it contains valuable fiber for digestion and reduction of inflammation.
- Green apple: This fruit boasts of a rich content of prebiotics that promote the growth of healthy bacteria in your gut. It’s essential for weight loss detox smoothies as it has low sugar levels.
- Banana: This fruit has dozens of health benefits, which is the reason you’ll find it in most detox smoothie recipes. Some of the essential nutrients in bananas include dietary fiber which helps manage constipation. Bananas are also sources of antioxidants such as flavonoids that reduce heart disease risk.
- Spinach: It’s the best source for the green color in detox smoothies. Also, it contains antioxidants. It also has kaempferol which boosts immunity to eye-related issues.
- Cucumber: Instead of adding water to your smoothies, you can use a cucumber which is 96% water. It also has antioxidants helpful in weight loss.
An example: Banana Spinach Smoothie
Below is a sample recipe of a famous detox smoothie you’d want to try out:
- Frozen berries
- Baby spinach leaves
- Almond milk
- Put in all the fruit and vegetables.
- Blend until you get the texture you want.
- Add a half cup of almond milk to your blended mixture.
- You can stir or blend the mix to incorporate everything well.
- Pour into a glass and serve.
It’d be best to consider the time factor, depending on your preferred consistency. If you blend your smoothie for a long time, it becomes watery, which is a sure way to ingest all the nutrients compared with thicker smoothies.
A detox smoothie has several health benefits. Most of the ingredients are affordable, so you should have no reason not to try detox smoothies. Ensure you include most of the nutritious ingredients for the best results. As you aim at eliminating toxins from your system, don’t add processed ingredients, which will undermine the detoxification process.
- “Are Juices Really Healthier Than Smoothies?”, Source: https://lifehacker.com/are-juices-really-healthier-than-smoothies-1847450208
- “11 Evidence-Based Health Benefits of Bananas”, Source: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/11-proven-benefits-of-bananas#section9
- “7 Health Benefits of Eating Cucumber,” Source; https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/7-health-benefits-of-cucumber